Dental Treatments and Procedures
Learn about the most popular dental services requested in San Francisco
General, Cosmetic, and Implant Dentistry
SF Dental offers a wide range of dental treatments, from preventative to emergency care and everything in between. On this page we describe some of the dental procedures we see most often here in San Francisco, as well as advanced dentistry options designed for unparalleled results and greater comfort.
How implants work
Implants consist of a titanium post that goes into your jawbone, an abutment that attaches to the post and extends outward, and a restoration (often a crown or a bridge) that attaches to the abutment and replaces your missing teeth.
The implant timeline
For most patients, dental implants require two surgical procedures spaced out by several months:
- First, the titanium posts are placed within your jawbone. For the first three to six months following surgery, the implants are beneath the surface of the gums, gradually bonding with the jawbone. During this time, you either wear a temporary “flipper” (for front teeth) or simply leave the space empty (for back teeth).
- After the implant has integrated with the jawbone, we uncover it and attach a small healing collar. An impression is taken so that the laboratory can mold the replacement tooth, and we then cement the new tooth to the post.
How Invisalign works
The aligners are made through a combination of our expertise and 3D computer imaging technology. You wear each set of aligners for about two weeks, removing them only to eat, drink, brush, and floss. As you replace each aligner with the next in the series, your teeth will move—little by little, week by week—until they have straightened to their final position.
Invisalign treatment timeline
The timeline varies depending on your orthodontic needs, but we limit our treatments to cases that can be resolved in 6-15 months. For more complex cases, we may refer you to an orthodontist.
SF Dental is pleased to offer three different teeth whitening options:
- KöR – for challenging colors and/or sensitive teeth, excellent results
- Zoom! – most popular, immediate change, very good results
- At-home trays – inexpensive, noticeable color change
Also check out Dr. Kim’s teeth whitening articles:
Unattractive metal fillings are a thing of the past. We replace existing crowns and fillings with restorations that look and feel just like your natural teeth. Proven and effective, non-metal restorations have a long list of benefits over traditional fillings.
Placing porcelain veneers is a very meticulous process that requires a dentist with a high degree of technical precision. At SF Dental, we place veneers on a regular basis, so you can feel reassured that you care is in good hands and you’ll end up with top-quality results.
If you have issues with receding gums, you have a lot more options than you used to. Dr. Stella Kim was one of the first dentists in San Francisco to be trained in the cutting-edge Chao Pinhole® technique, which allows for quicker and more natural-looking results.
Modern dentistry places a lot of emphasis on your comfort. After all, what good is a dental treatment if patients are too scared to go see their dentists? There have been significant advances in treatment over the past few years that make your visit much more comfortable, and these are an important part of Dr. Kim’s practice. From rub-on numbing agents to more comfortable fillings, we do everything we can to make you feel at ease.